October 7th New York — Font Bureau president David Berlow joined Type designers Matthew Carter, Tobias Frere-Jones, Jonathan Hoefler, Ken Barber, and Tal Leming at “Making Faces,” a round table typographic discussion hosted by Society of Publication Designers and FIT. David Matt of Men’s Journal moderated:
- the difference between type founding and type design
- which came first: foundries making large type families or designers demanding larger families?
- how fonts are named
- custom typography
- how and when to involve a type designer into a design project
- designing type for difficult printing conditions
- the future of OpenType, 1400 ligatures?!
- sneak previews of upcoming type from the 4 foundries